Lonyesi dreaming after Police reach cup semis

Police FC's Ronald Ssempala battles for posession against BUL FC's Aggrey Maddoi at Kavumba | Photo Credit: Pulse Sports

UGANDA CUP Lonyesi dreaming after Police reach cup semis

Shafic Kiyaga 17:03 - 12.04.2023

The Cops prevailed over a tough start at the Kavumba Recreation Grounds, falling behind inside the opening two minutes of the game.

Police FC coach Angelo Lonyesi believes anything is possible for his side after they bludgeoned their way into the Stanbic Uganda Cup semi-final with a 2-1 win over holder BUL FC.

The Cops prevailed over a tough start at the Kavumba Recreation Grounds, falling behind inside the opening two minutes of the game.

However, they turned it around with two goals in the space of six minutes at the start of the second half, and managed to hold on to reach the last four for the first time since 2021.

“Anything is possible now, we are in the semi final and we can dream,” he said after the game on Wednesday.

“When you get to this level, anything can happen and that is the beauty of this tournament. There are a lot of examples we can draw from, and history often repeats its self.”

“I remember Coffee FC in 1980, they had been relegated, but won this tournament. Simba also wrote history winning it while in the second division.”

“And we all still vividly remember Proline’s journey to the title in 2019, so we can also count our chances,” he added.

Anthony Mayanja gave BUL the lead when he brought down Douglas Muganga’s ball, before riffling a volley past Davis Mutebi in goal.

Ricahrd Wandyaka came close to doubling BUL’s lead in the 21st minute, before Mutebi did well to tip the ball off Mayanja who was poised to head home Martin Aprem’s cross.

Ronald Ssempala headed wide for Police in the 30th minute, an early indication of how quickly the dynamics of the game could change.

And indeed, Police were the better side in the second half, finding the leveler through an unfortunate own goal from defender Pascal Ngoobi in the 57th minute.

Police FC continued to press forward and got their deserved winner in the 64th minute when substitute Dennis Kalanzi’s cross from the left was met by a strong header from Ssempala.

Lonyesi added: “We played very well, I am very proud of our performance, we stayed within the game, and the boys delivered our plans very well.

“We went through a really difficult period in the first 20 minutes but we managed to stick together and we showed a lot of experience that wasn’t our strength this season.

Police, who are in the fight to make an immediate return to the StarTimes Uganda Premier League after their relegation last season, will await who they face in the two-legged semi final.

The Uganda Cup quarter finals will continue with Vipers SC hosting Calvary FC at the St. Mary’s Stadium in Kitende on Friday.

Adjumani Town Council will host Express on Saturday, before KCCA FC attempt to reach the competitions’ semi finals for the first time since 2018 when they visit Soltilo Bright Stars at the Kavumba Recreation Grounds on Sunday.